Friday, October 3, 2008

Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10) - Beta Released

Well, the beta is out, and we need people to test it.

New in this release is KDE 4.1.2 rather than 3.5.10, and this represents a significant change. KDE 4 is different, and not quite as feature rich, but it is the future of KDE, so getting in at this point in time make a lot of sense.

A lot of hard work has gone into making this release available for Kubuntu. Hats off to all the developers who worked on fixing bugs, back porting missing bits from the svn 4.2 tree, and general packaging and testing during the alpha stages. And especially to those brave souls who began running Intrepid during the initial Alpha release (like myself).

As I am now getting back into development, I have made it my mission to try and work on some of the features missing from 4.1 that we all loved in 3.5. If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I will add them to my todo list.

If you know of a package which exists, but is not in the Kubuntu repo's, let me know and I will see if I can help get it packaged and added to the repo.

My current project is to build a plasmoid for bookmarks/favorites. I really miss that feature, so, once I learn the plasma API, it's my first project. Other than that, I'll play it by ear.