Friday, October 3, 2008

Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10) - Beta Released

Well, the beta is out, and we need people to test it.

New in this release is KDE 4.1.2 rather than 3.5.10, and this represents a significant change. KDE 4 is different, and not quite as feature rich, but it is the future of KDE, so getting in at this point in time make a lot of sense.

A lot of hard work has gone into making this release available for Kubuntu. Hats off to all the developers who worked on fixing bugs, back porting missing bits from the svn 4.2 tree, and general packaging and testing during the alpha stages. And especially to those brave souls who began running Intrepid during the initial Alpha release (like myself).

As I am now getting back into development, I have made it my mission to try and work on some of the features missing from 4.1 that we all loved in 3.5. If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I will add them to my todo list.

If you know of a package which exists, but is not in the Kubuntu repo's, let me know and I will see if I can help get it packaged and added to the repo.

My current project is to build a plasmoid for bookmarks/favorites. I really miss that feature, so, once I learn the plasma API, it's my first project. Other than that, I'll play it by ear.

9 comments:

  1. I have tried installing Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex, but for some reason giht after the installation, the same thing happens as when the used chooses to try Ubuntu from the disc, that is,a rectangle appears showing the harddisk, and then shows 3 blurry icons and restarts to the same rectangel, wherease after the installation, I am constantly being prompted for my user name and password, even though I typed them correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has this problem been solved in the latest release?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this issue before.

    I suggest trying the latest beta though. If you find this issue exists there, please file a bug report on launchpad so we can investigate further. We will need your system details as well.

    Also, was this a fresh install (i.e. you formatted the complete system) or did you keep the home drive or other drives around and simply upgrade over them? If the latter, you may want to try with a new user or a completely fresh install.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have exactly the same problem. My hardware is Fujitsu Siemens Amilo P4 with Intel 84845 Graphics card.
    Running live CD Kubuntu 8.10 I get to the first splash screen with HDD, System Settings, Globe & K icons and the my screen seems to reset itself. No access to tty1, tty2 or tty7. Mouse cursor is present and moves smoothly but any click resets the screen.
    I've tried safe graphics mode and various vga= settings at the f6 command, but no joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please ensure you file a bug report. The release is only days away, so if your problem can be addressed before release, it may help others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the exact same problem. I upgraded from Kubuntu Hardy Heron. I tried deleting my .* files, but it still doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, here's what I did to make it work, finally. First, go to a console with ALT+F1, ALT+F2...

    Then, sudo killall kdm.

    Then, nano -w ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

    There, I added those lines :

    [Compositing]
    Enabled=false

    then sudo reboot.

    It worked for me, hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Benedict, you are a lifesaver!
    Your fix worked perfectly. How on earth did you get to it?
    Would it also work for Ubuntu (substituting gdm where required)?
    Thanks 100x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Benedict,
    The fix worked perfectly.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete