Monday, October 4, 2010

Android Programming in Ubuntu - The Journey Begins

So, having had some free time and a little kick in the creativity pants (thanks to Rick Spencer), I've embarked on a journey to try my hand at some 'Droid programming.

To get started, I purchased "Sams Teach Yourself Android Application Development in 24 Hours", by Lauren Darcey and Shane Conder (ISBN: 978-0-321-67335-0). This should be readily available a Chapters, Amazon, etc., and cost's $47.99 CAD.

The book is fairly straight forward, and easy to follow. So far, I completed the first 4 hours, and have had a great time in trying out the examples and all the extra exercises at the end of each chapter.

As I go through the lessons, I'll post my progress, and provide some useful tips, tricks, etc that I have found along the way.

In my next post I'll cover how to set up your environment under Ubuntu, and some things the book either missed or have changed since printing.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, cool. ^.^ I just started on Hello, Android, after a crash course in Java basics.

    Do keep us posted, and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete