Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Building a Ubuntu Server - Part 1 - Multi-part Series

I've been out of the development game for a while now. Last post was circa 2011, and here we are 5 years later.

So, to get myself back into things, I am starting by building a new Ubuntu development server and catching up on all the new shiny bits which have been developed since my hiatus.

First off, I wanted a reasonable system, decent RAM, and hot swap storage. I thought about building my own, and sourcing all the parts, but really didnt have the time or energy to review all the parts for compatibility, etc. So I took the easy route and sourced a system from ZaReason.

Here is what I eventually ended up buying:

Breeze Server 560

CPU: i7-6700 3.4-4 GHz 4-core, 8 threads
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2133
Storage: 3x500 GB 7200rpm HD
Networking: 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports
Networking Wireless: Intel® Wireless AC Dual-Band+Bluetooth
Power Supply Breeze Server: 250W

It's a fairly decent system for what I needed and with some room to grow in RAM and Storage.

Over the next few posts I will be detailing my setup and documenting the choices and my reasons. Mostly for my own benefit, but perhaps others may find this useful.

Building a Ubuntu Server - Part 2

Regards,
Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment