Saturday, February 10, 2007

Standards again...

So, I've been performing some updates on my computer. I am currently building OpenOffice 2.1 from source... WOW - 8 hours and still going. Of course, it could be all the compiler options I have enabled for optimization :)

Anyway, while building this, I decided to check out some of the highlights on the program and came across an interesting article.

I guess M$ is slowly realizing all they have to lose when it comes to the Open Document Format (ODF) being used by OpenOffice and KOffice (among others) and users pushing for all vendors to adopt it.

Several states in the US, the most recent being Texas, have put forth bills to require the use of ODF (or similar Open Standards) in all government agencies. If this trend continues, then perhaps M$ will start to play nice with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment