Tuesday, June 16, 2009

usb-creator-kde - update and screenie

The creator is steadily moving along. Right now the main stumbling blocks are gobject calls in the backend and the use of a DBusGMainLoop in the backend.

Together, these constitute a non-working backend for PyKDE/PyQt. KCrash has become a nightmare.

In order to get around this, we need to pull out the gobject and DBusGMainLoop and move them somewhere related to the frontend. At that point I can re-implement the bits I require as PyKDE/PyQt code, while maintaining a common backend code base.

I've taken the first step, and moved DBusGMainLoop to the gtk frontend via a wrapper. I have re-implemented similar functionality via the same wrapper in the kde frontend using DBusQtMainLoop.

Next on the list is to rip out the gobject calls... I suspect a couple of days before I get that all figured out... (unless I get a real dose of inspiration).

Anyway, here's the screenshot as promised, so you know it's not all pie-in-the-sky :)

11 comments:

  1. awsome!! nice work... cant wait to use it.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    It's taking a bit of time, as I walk my way through the PyGtk code and figure out what's going on. However, 90% of it is completely ported and working.

    I've a few changes to make to the backend to allow for KDE/Qt to work with it (ripping out glib specific stuff). Once that is done, we should have a KDE frontend with complete feature parity to the Gtk one. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know how the gtk version looks but shouldn't the "Quit" and "make disc" be inverted in KDE/Qt version...

    I mean Kde is using OK/Cancel scheme instead of Gnomes Cancel/OK So I think Make disc/ Quit would make more sense...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the difference of this to the universal unetbootin (which is a Qt application easily downloadable for Linux and Windows and supports K/Ubuntu among plenty other distributions)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. val-gaav: good point. I simply mirrored the gui pretty much verbatim. It definitely should be flipped around for consistency. Thanks for noticing.

    Anonymous: Have a look at the comment thread in this post. Rather than repeat myself again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, it looks fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, it looks great :) I love to see all the Ubuntu tools be ported to Qt.

    One note, why wouldn't you put some icons in the buttons? I mean, every KDE app has an icon for the Quit button, for the Open button, and maybe an icon suits the "make installation" button.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cumulus007, first you make it work.. then you make it pretty :)

    Since I have been concentrating on porting the functionality, I have not bothered to add all the pretty stuff to it (like tooltips, icons, etc).

    Rest assured, there will be time at the end of porting, to add the pretty stuff. The important thing is to get the app usable, so we can get it in the archives at some point before freeze. Right now, that's not yet possible, but soon..

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!
    I'm so glad someone has taken this on! I made a start on this a while back, I sent a bunch of emails to Evan and when I got no response or interest from anyone I lost interest. It's a very bad habbit of mine. Thanks for leaving my name in the credits too. *feels partly special*

    I like that you're getting rid of using the GTK loop, I think I was lazy and left in large gobjects and possibly had two event loops. Which is a bit of a depenency nightmare.

    Anyway, let me know if you want a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. David, if you are interested, I'd love a hand with some things.

    1) help with porting the gobject to Qt timer, etc.
    2) translations done correctly...
    3) others misc stuff...

    :)

    ReplyDelete